Heart of the Matter: Harold Feinstein, Photographs 1946-2011.
A 65-year retrospective of the work of this distinguished yet under-recognized American photographer and teacher, a member of the legendary Photo League and an exemplar of the New York School. The first extended survey of Feinstein’s entire oeuvre. Accompanied by a full catalogue/monograph, with texts by myself and Feinstein, plus a feature-length documentary film on the photographer. A project of Flying Dragon LLC. Presently in production; itinerary to be announced. Click on the links below for the following related items:
- Prospectus for the exhibition, including specifications. (PDF format)
- Full 120-image curatorial edit. (PDF format)
- Slideshow of 120-image curatorial edit. (QuickTime movie. Note: This may take a minute to load fully.)
- Harold Feinstein: Uninterrupted Seeing, a 15-minute film about this photographer and this retrospective project by Todd Weinstein and Peter Norrman. The preceding link takes you to the film (and other videos) at Feinstein’s website; it’s also here at Vimeo.
- “‘Seeing the life in which we live’: The Photographs of Harold Feinstein.” Essay about Feinstein’s life and work by myself, written for the catalogue for his spring 2010 show in Beijing, China. A mini-version of the curatorial essay now in preparation for the retrospective catalogue. (PDF format)
- Wynn Bullock & Harold Feinstein in Beijing. Two-person show at See+ Artspace/Gallery. Slideshow of installation and March 20, 2010 opening. (QuickTime)
- Bio note and resumé for Feinstein. (PDF format)
- Bio note and CV for Coleman. (PDF format)
- Feinstein’s own website, with portfolios of images and other materials.
- “Coney Island To Korean War: Meet Photographer Harold Feinstein,” by Claire O’Neill, National Public Radio, 10/12/2011.
- “With Feinstein Retrospective, a Bygone Era,” by Evan Sklar, Lens PhotoBlog, New York Times, 10/10/2011.
- “Photographer Harold Feinstein honored by Griffin Museum,” by Mark Shanahan and Meredith Goldstein, The Names Blog, Boston Globe, 10/3/2011.
- Harold Feinstein – Garden of Psalms. Slideshow of Feinstein’s color botanical imagery, produced by LIFE magazine.
- Harold Feinstein’s Coney Island. ABC Nightline segment, 7/3/1995.