I’m posting writings of my own to augment my Posts and Comments, but the links to these are imbedded in those Post and Comments. So I’ve added this Page to the blog, to enable easy access to all the writings I upload to supplement my entries. These are PDF files that you can read online or download, as you prefer. They include the bibliographic information regarding their original publication that you’ll need in citing any of them in writings of your own.
For attendees at my London lecture, November 8, 2011:
- “Dinosaur Bones: The End (and Ends) of Photo Criticism.” Lecture, 2011.
- “The Destruction Business: Some Thoughts on the Function of Criticism.” Essay, 1998.
- “After Critical Mass, What?: A State-of-the-Craft Report on Photography Criticism.” Lecture, 1999.
- “Counting the Teeth: Photography for Philosophers.” Essay, 2007.
- “‘Seeing the life in which we live’: The Photographs of Harold Feinstein.” Essay about Feinstein’s life and work by myself, written for the catalogue for his spring 2010 show in Beijing, China.
- “Roy DeCarava: ‘Thru Black Eyes.'” Profile of the photographer (1919-2009), originally published in Popular Photography, April 1970.
- “2020 Vision: Photojournalism’s Next Two Decades.” Keynote address to the World Press Photography Award Days, 2000.
- “No Future For You? Speculations on the Next Decade in Photography Education.” Keynote address to the Society for Photographic Education, 1978.
- “Identity Crisis: The State Of Photography Education Today.” Lecture delivered at the Second Annual Photography Congress of the Maine Photographic Workshops, 1987.
- “Damn the Neuroses! Full Speed Ahead! Or, Thoughts on the Free Lance Life.” Essay, 1981.
- “Mama, Don’t Take Our Kodachrome Away.” Book introduction, 2002.
- “Polaroid: What Price Largesse?” Essay, 1980/1998.
- “Polaroid: Toward A Dangerous Future.” Essay, 1980.